Monday, January 28, 2008

President Hinckley


Last night Derek was talking to his brother (Daniel) and as they were talking Daniel got the news that President Hinckley had passed away. Shortly after that Chip called in on the other line to tell us the news. We are going to miss him so much! He's a truly great man. I can't help but be happy for him despite our loss. He is able to be with his sweet wife. We are so thankful for all that he has given us, for his devout service to God. What a great example to strive to follow. I have been greatly influenced by his wife's book, "Letters". It is SUCH a treat if you have extra time. Her outlook on life was so different compared to any other I've known. She is another example I would like to be follow--an incredible mother! Sometimes we feel so far away out here, but it was so nice to hear from everyone so quickly when such important news was happening. We told our kids this morning and will have an Family Home Evening about it tonight. They love him so much and get so excited when he talks in Conference. In fact Emma pronounces our last name "Hinckins" because she mixes it up with President Hinckley's name too. We just recently got cable for the first time and LOVE the fact that BYU TV is one of the channels. Joseph always asks if he can watch "BU" channel because I'll probably say yes. It's so nice to have the option to watch church programs ALL the time. I also love the BYU radio option on the internet!! If you don't know about it, you can go to the BYU TV area and click on BYU Radio. It's wonderful!! There is an instrumental option and a normal option. Our kids sometimes will recognize a song and say "I know that song!!!" It's really helped keep the Spirit in our home. A couple of weeks ago I got called as the Young Women's President. I was this in our El Mirage ward also. I think I'm getting another chance to do it right! The girls in our ward are AMAZING!! I've been the counselor for about 6 months and I think they get tired of me always telling them how great they are!! I am just so amazed at how unified they are, so loving and kind to each other and everyone in our ward. They have great attitudes toward life and it is so renewing and refreshing to be around them. We love you guys!!! Have a great week!

No comments: